Timeline: Lynette White murder in Cardiff docklands

  • 1 December 2011
  • From the section Wales
Image caption Lynette White was murdered on St Valentine's Day 1988

14 February 1988: Prostitute Lynette White, 20, is found stabbed more than 50 times in a flat in Cardiff docklands.

November 1988: Five men are arrested and go on trial in 1989. But the judge died unexpectedly during the case and a second trial was scheduled.

June 1990: At this second trial, two of the men were cleared but three - Stephen Miller, Yusef Abdullahi and Tony Paris - were found guilty and sentenced to life in prison.

1992: The Court of Appeal rules that a gross miscarriage of justice had taken place and the Cardiff Three have their conviction quashed and are freed. Delivering his ruling Lord Justice Taylor criticises police officers for the way they interviewed Stephen Miller.

September 2000: A new inquiry into the murder is launched by South Wales Police.

January 2002: Police announce they have built up a genetic profile of the killer and the five men originally charged all give DNA samples - none matched the profile.

Officers then find a partial match with a youth who was not born when the killing took place. Testing of the 14-year-old's family finds a close relative whose DNA matches that of DNA found at the murder scene. The relative's name is Jeffrey Gafoor.

February 2003: Gafoor, a security guard from Llanharan, near Bridgend, is arrested by police.

July 2003: Gafoor is jailed for life after pleading guilty to murdering Ms White. His defence barrister John Charles Rees QC demands a public inquiry into the earlier investigation.

November 2004: South Wales Police supervised by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) begins an inquiry to establish what went wrong with the original murder investigation.

April-November 2005: Several serving and former police officers are arrested and questioned on suspicion of false imprisonment, conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and misconduct in public office.

November 2006: 23 people remain on police bail in connection with the investigation, including 15 retired or serving officers.

February 2007: Trial witnesses Mark Grommek, Angela Psaila and Leanne Vilday are charged with perjury. A number of people remain on bail pending further inquiries.

October 2008: Mark Grommek, who lived above the flat in which Miss White was murdered, initially pleads not guilty to the charge at his trial but changes his plea to guilty. Angela Psaila and Leanne Vilday's pleas of guilty are also recorded.

December 2008: Mark Grommek, Angela Psaila and Leanne Vilday are each sentenced to 18 months imprisonment.

March 2009: CPS announced there was "sufficient evidence" to prosecute officers.

July 2011: Eight former South Wales Police officers stand trial. A further four due to stand trial in 2012

December 2011: CPS offers no evidence and case collapses.