Facebook friends help paralysed Peter Casaru in Brecon
- 8 October 2011
- From the section Wales
A 59-year-old man who woke up paralysed because of a crippling spine condition says he was saved by his Facebook friends.
Peter Casaru, 59, turned to his laptop and the social media site because his mobile phone battery was dead.
It took him over an hour to crawl to his computer in his cottage in Brecon, Powys, and alert his friends online.
The father-of-one, who lives alone, pleaded: "Can someone call 999, ambulance for me, I need one now."
Lying on the floor, unable to see and type properly without his glasses, he wrote: "I need one now. I have fractued my back. dtuck ob floor. no phone abdglasses, toucvh typing.. please help me." (sic)
Facebook friends of the photographer who live as far away as New York and Vancouver replied when they saw his updates and tried to call for help.
But it was Mr Casaru's friend Juliet McFarlane, who lives just six miles away, who was first to call 999 and two ambulances arrived at his house just 20 minutes later.
Mr Casaru said his doctors told him the spinal spasm he suffered could have killed him if he had not received emergency treatment.
He has had spinal problems since breaking his back in a quad-bike accident six years ago.
"That's the luck part of the whole story: that Facebook friends saved me," he said.
Mr Casaru, who says he is now on crutches, thanked all the friends who left messages and tried to help.
"I can't believe how many newspapers have run the story, but I do see it as a thank you to my friends, not only on Facebook, but other friends and family.
"I'm always joking when I go on Facebook so I'm just glad they took me seriously," he said.