Melingriffith water pump restored after campaign
Campaigners who helped restore a historic water pump have put it back in to action for the first time since the 1940s.
The 200-year-old Melingriffith water pump in Whitchurch, Cardiff, one of the last remaining relics of the Glamorganshire canal - the link between Merthyr Tydfil and Cardiff's docks in the 19th Century.
It is one of the earliest works of its kind and was used to service the former Glamorganshire Canal and Melingriffith tin plate works.
The pump became redundant when this part of the canal closed in 1942.
A restoration project costing around £100,000 was funded by Cardiff council and Welsh heritage group Cadw and supported by community group Friends of Melingriffith Water Pump.
Carwyn Jones reports.