Wales

Former S4C chief Iona Jones agrees settlement

Iona Jones
Image caption Iona Jones was the first woman to be chief executive of S4C

The former chief executive of S4C will not be taking the channel to an employment tribunal after agreeing a settlement with them.

Iona Jones was taking legal steps against her former employer following her sudden departure in July.

It later emerged that she was dismissed due to the fact that the S4C Authority, which oversees the channel, found it hard to work with the S4C board.

S4C said it would not be making any further comment on the settlement.

Ms Jones was the first woman to become the chief executive of S4C and the fourth chief executive in the history of the channel that was set up in 1982.

She began her career in broadcasting as a journalist with BBC Wales, before becoming editor of the Welsh-language news programme Newyddion.

In December, MPs on the Welsh affairs committee at Westminster were told Ms Jones was sacked as a "casualty" of a management breakdown.

The vice-chair of the S4C authority, Rheon Tomos, said the authority had unsuccessfully demanded information from the channel's board of directors on several occasions.

He told the committee there was a "total impasse" which left board members feeling their scrutiny role was not being carried out in an effective way.

He told MPs: "One of the casualties, yes, of that decision was that the chief executive - her employment was terminated."

On Wednesday night, S4C's solicitors confirmed that the channel and Iona Jones had come to an agreement regarding the matters that had been presented to the tribunal.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites