Man, 80, injured in Falkirk flat blaze

A pensioner is in hospital after a fire at his home in Falkirk.

The 80-year-old man suffered burns to his shoulders and smoke inhalation after the blaze at a first-floor flat in the town's Stewart Road.

Firefighters were called to the property just before 09:30 and used breathing apparatus to enter the flat.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was caused by a cooker and although the flat did have a smoke alarm, it did not have batteries.

Falkirk Station manager Andy Bennett said: "We urge every household to have working smoke detectors and test them every week.

"We provide free home fire safety visits and fit smoke detectors where required."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Tayside & Central

Weather

Dundee

Min. Night 13 °C

Features

  • Nigel Farage (left) and Douglas CarswellWho's next?

    The Tory MPs being tipped to follow Carswell to UKIP


  • A painting of the White House on fire by Tom FreemanFinders keepers

    The odd objects looted by the British from Washington in 1814


  • President Barack Obama pauses during a press conference on 28 August.'No strategy'

    Obama's gaffe on Islamic State reveals political truth


  • Chris and Regina Catrambone with their daughter Maria LuisaSOS

    The millionaires who rescue people at sea


  • Plane7 days quiz

    What unusual offence got a Frenchman thrown off a plane?


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.