Tayside and Central Scotland

Police name woman who died after a fire at a Stirling care home

Wellgreen House
Image caption Margaret Samson died after suffering serious injuries during a fire at Wellgreen House on 14 February

Central Scotland Police have named a 99-year-old woman who died following a fire at a care home in Stirling.

She was Margaret Samson, from Stirling.

Ms Samson was badly burnt in a fire in the smoking room of Wellgreen House on 14 February. She was taken to hospital but died the following day.

Officers are not treating her death as suspicious, but said an inquiry by Central Scotland Police, Stirling Council and the Health and Safety Executive was continuing.

It is understood the woman's hair caught fire while she was lighting a cigarette. She was burnt on the head and back.

Fire crews responded to an automatic alarm, but the fire had been put out by staff in the home by the time they arrived.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites