Probe into woman's death after fire at Stirling care home

Wellgreen House The incident happened in the smooking room at the care home on Wednesday

Investigations are under way into the death of a 99-year-old woman in a care home in Stirling.

She was badly burnt in a fire in the smoking room of Wellgreen House on Wednesday. She was taken to hospital but later died of her injuries.

Stirling Council runs the care home.

The local authority said police, the Health and Safety Executive and the council's own health and safety staff were involved in reviewing all aspects of the incident.

It is understood the woman's hair caught fire while she was lighting a cigarette. She was burnt on the head and back.

Fire crews responded to an automatic alarm, but the fire had been put out by staff in the home by the time they arrived.

A spokesman for Stirling Council said: "On 13 February at Wellgreen Nursing Home, an elderly resident was involved in a fire in the smoking room and sadly has since died in hospital.

"Council Health and Safety staff, police and staff from Health and Safety Executive have been involved to review all aspects of the incident and their reports are awaited."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Tayside & Central

Weather

Dundee

12 °C 8 °C

Features

  • chocolate cake and strawberriesTrick your tongue

    Would this dessert taste different on a black plate?


  • Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George leaving New Zealand'Great ambassadors'

    How New Zealand reacted to William, Kate - and George


  • Major Power Failure ident on BBC2Going live

    Why BBC Two's launch was not all right on the night


  • Front display of radio Strange echoes

    The mysterious 'numbers stations' left over from the Cold War era


  • A letter from a Somali refugee to a Syrian child'Be a star'

    Children's uplifting letters of hope to homeless Syrians


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.