Warning over harmful Dundee pond algae
- 20 July 2012
- From the section Tayside and Central Scotland
People are being urged to keep away from a Dundee pond after potentially harmful blue-green algae was spotted.
Recent sampling of the lower pond at Stobsmuir has found high levels of the algae, which can be toxic.
Dundee City Council has recommended that people keep themselves and their pets away from the water as a precaution.
The algae can cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed. Its toxins are also dangerous to animals.
The authority is continuing to monitor the situation and has posted notices at the ponds.
A spokesman for Dundee City Council said: "Due to the high concentrations of blue green algae, parents are advised to be vigilant with their children and dog owners should prevent their dogs from drinking the water."