Perth's Sandvik engineering workshop evacuated after fire
- 24 May 2012
- From the section Tayside and Central Scotland
Firefighters have extinguished a blaze inside a furnace at the Inveralmond Industrial Estate in Perth.
Tayside Fire and Rescue were called to the blaze at the Sandvik engineering workshop, which manufactures silicon carbide heating elements, at 03:45.
The seven staff inside the building had attempted to extinguish the fire before evacuating and calling the emergency services.
Fire crews used dry powder to bring the flames under control.
The remaining furnaces, which were not involved in the incident, were isolated as an additional safety precaution due to the extreme heat contained within them, which was said to be about 2,500°C.
Three fire appliances and an aerial rescue pump were mobilised from Perth and Dunkeld Fire Stations, and a command support unit was sent from Kingsway East Fire Station in Dundee.
The fire had largely been extinguished by 05:00, but crews remained on scene to monitor the situation and check for remaining hot spots using a thermal image camera.
The fire service said its investigations were at an early stage, but it appeared a malfunction within the furnace started the spread of the fire, which is not being treated as suspicious.