Microwave wheat bag causes fire in Melrose sheltered housing

Wheat bag on fire Overheated wheat bags can smoulder for hours and then catch alight (demonstration picture)

Firefighters were called to a sheltered housing complex in the Borders after an overheated microwaveable wheat-filled bag led to a bedroom fire.

The alarm was raised at Priorwood Court in Melrose at about 03:15.

An elderly woman was treated at hospital for smoke inhalation and minor burns after radiated heat from the bag set fire to her electric blanket.

Scottish Fire and Rescue said they had been called out to a number of incidents involving wheat-filled bags.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC South Scotland



Min. Night 1 °C


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.