Sanquhar gas evacuation care home firm fined

Dumfries Sheriff Court Dumfries Sheriff Court was told the gas work at the home had been "shoddy and dangerous"

The operators of a care home where residents had to be evacuated after an early morning gas leak have been fined £55,000 at Dumfries Sheriff Court.

Harveys Healthcare Ltd admitted two safety offences at its Queensberry Care Home in Sanquhar.

The charges followed the evacuation of residents due to a strong smell of gas from the boiler room in February 2010.

Sheriff Kenneth Ross said the fine could have been £65,000 but it had been discounted due to the guilty plea.

The firm admitted failing to ensure that two workmen who installed two fan-assisted gas boilers were registered with Gas Safe or held accredited authorisation.

It was later found that the safety certificate supplied by the two men - who could now not be traced - did not have the authentic six-digit number on it and experts described the work as "a shoddy and dangerous installation".

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC South Scotland



Min. Night 1 °C


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.