Phil Morgan on the mend after Minch Moor tent gas poisoning
- 16 May 2013
- From the section South Scotland
A camper who suffered a brain injury from a leaking gas canister in his unventilated tent has said he is on the road to a full recovery.
Phil Morgan, 50, was in a coma for a week after being left unconscious by fumes in the incident in March 2012.
He was also suffering from hypothermia when he was found by mountain rescue teams on Minch Moor in the Borders.
Mr Morgan, of Stow, said it might take years to fully recover from the carbon monoxide poisoning.
His girlfriend Trudy Anderson raised the alarm about the incident last year when she became concerned he was not answering his phone.
After 24 hours of searching, teams were able to locate him by ringing his mobile.
Fourteen months on he has recovered well and has even spent a night back camping near his home in Stow.
He said: "I can remember very little about the accident.
"I pitched the tent when it got dark and the next thing I'm waking up in hospital.
"I am very lucky to be alive and although I still suffer from chronic fatigue I am feeling a lot better."
He said he was now "more able to deal with day-to-day living" and had been back camping on the hill for a night.
"It was a very important thing for me to do considering all that has happened," he said.
"It may take years to make a full recovery but I am confident I will do it."
Mr Morgan has returned to work at the Tesco store in Galashiels where he is supported by a job coach from brain injury charity Momentum.
He said: "I have been with Momentum since June and it has been a huge help in my recovery with support and meeting others with brain injuries."
Mr Morgan works on the Galashiels-based charity's newsletter alongside colleague Kieran Robb who also told his story about his remarkable recovery as part of Brain Injury Week.
Mr Robb, now 37, was taking part in a battle re-enactment in Bedfordshire in June 2006 when he received a blow from a sword which penetrated his skull.
The injury left him in hospital for four months and such was the extent of his injuries he had to learn to speak again.
He said: "I feel positive and my speech has come back.
"I am just glad to be alive."
He said 90% of head injury patients died on the way to hospital, so he was "one of the 10%".
"The charity has been great - getting together with a lot of folk with head injuries and talking to them has helped get my speech back," he said.
"But I'm only really recovering now, seven years on."