North Ayrshire Council
- 5 April 2012
- From the section Scotland politics
The population of the council area stood at 135,510 in 2009 and the authority employs about 6,700 full and part-time workers.
- The council's budget stands at about £340m.
- TheNorth Ayrshire Councilheadquarters is in the town of Irvine.
- The council has eight multi-member wards, with 30 elected councillors.
- North Ayrshire Council was one ofsix local authorities facing "particular challenges"with youth unemployment which will share £9m to create work opportunities.
- Two North Ayrshire council wards, Irvine West and Saltcoats and Stevenston, were highlighted ina report on child poverty. The Campaign to End Child Poverty said action was needed to tackle "shameful" levels of child poverty in parts of Scotland.
- The isle of Arran is inside the local authority area which also contains the towns of Ardrossan, Largs and Kilwinning.