Edinburgh City Council
- 5 April 2012
- From the section Scotland politics
- The population of the council area stood at 477,660 in 2009. The authority employs about 17,700 people.
- Edinburgh City Councilhas a revenue budget of about £1,018m.
- The local authority has 17 multi-member wards with 58 elected councillors.
- The city's troubled trams project is due to be completed in the summer 2014, at a cost of £776m.
- Edinburgh is worldrenowned for its annual festivalswhich are said to attract audiences from more then 75 countries who watch 2,500 artists from 38 nations.
- Each Hogmanay, tens of thousands of people gather in Edinburgh to see in the new year.
- Earlier this month, the city learned that the headquarters of theUK's Green Investment Bankwould be based in Edinburgh after it beat off competition from 31 other bids.