BP North Sea Devenick gas project starts

East Brae platform The project is expected to add an extra 3% to current UK gas production

Related Stories

Oil giant BP has announced the successful start-up of its £650m Devenick gas project in the central North Sea.

The project, which involves a seabed pipeline to Marathon Oil's East Brae platform, will provide a new source of domestic gas for the UK.

Production from the field is due to peak in 2013 at up to 100 million standard cubic feet per day.

BP owns 88.7% of Devenick and RWE Dea UK holds the remaining 11.3%.

Trevor Garlick, regional president for BP's North Sea business, said: "The Devenick project has been delivered safely and on schedule.

"The project provides an important source of domestic gas to the UK and has also been a great example of the UK's strengths in subsea engineering.

"Around £500m has been invested in the UK supply chain during the development of this project."

UK Energy Minister John Hayes said when the Devenick project came on full stream, it would add an extra 3% to current UK gas production - enough to supply the equivalent of more than half a million homes a year.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Scotland business stories

RSS

Features

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.