Boy hurt after Elgin mobile phone charger fire

Mobile and charger The mobile phone charger fire happened overnight

A warning has been issued after a boy was injured when an overheated mobile phone charger caught fire at a house in Elgin.

Firefighters were called to a house in the Barlink Road area in the early hours.

The boy, who was in a bedroom, suffered burns to his arm and was taken to hospital.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service warned against leaving mobile phones charging overnight.

Station manager Shaun Burns said: "The fire was caused by an overheated mobile phone charger, which had been left charging on the bed.

"It had overheated to such an extent that the bedding caught fire and caused burn injuries to the young boy in the room.

"This incident had the potential to be even more serious and we can't stress enough how important it is to unplug mobile chargers before you go to bed."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC North East, Orkney and Shetland

Weather

Lerwick

16 °C 13 °C

Features

  • Businessmen in an officeSelling a message

    The BBC's Douglas Fraser on the referendum battle for business


  • A painting of the White House on fire by Tom FreemanFinders keepers

    The odd objects looted by the British from Washington in 1814


  • Chris and Regina Catrambone with their daughter Maria LuisaSOS

    The millionaires who rescue people at sea


  • Plane7 days quiz

    What unusual offence got a Frenchman thrown off a plane?


  • Children testing a bridge at a model-making summer school in Crawley, West SussexSeeding science Watch

    The retired professor who turned village children into engineers


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.