Aberdeen woman finds scorpion in her bed
- 26 June 2013
- From the section NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland
An Aberdeen woman woke up in bed to find a scorpion inches from her face.
Zoology student Vicky Raitt, 23, believes the Asian forest scorpion must travelled home in her suitcase after a recent trip to Borneo.
She contained the 3in long scorpion inside a plastic tub until the Scottish SPCA arrived.
She said: "I opened my eyes and the scorpion was literally a hands length away from my face with its tail raised."
She explained: "I jumped out of bed and, after doing a double take to make sure I hadn't imagined it, I ran to the kitchen to get a plastic tub to put it in.
"My suitcase was damaged on the way home from Borneo so I think it crawled inside through the hole.
"I'd been back for five days before I found the scorpion so it must have been living with me all that time.
"Once I got over the initial shock of finding it I was okay, but it's still quite scary to think what could have happened if I hadn't woken up and it had stung me."
The scorpion is being cared for at the Scottish SPCA's Aberdeenshire Animal Rescue and Rehoming Centre in Drumoak, and it has been offered a new home by Nick Martin, who has an exotic animal rescue charity in Inverness.
Insp Fiona McKenzie said, "It must have been a real shock for Vicky to wake up and find this scorpion in her bed and she did very well to safely contain it before contacting us.
"Given Vicky has recently been to Borneo, it's most likely the scorpion has come over to Scotland inside her suitcase.
"Asian forest scorpions aren't deadly but if bitten the pain could vary from that of a bee-sting to intense inflammation and sickness.
"We're very pleased Nick has offered this scorpion a new home as we know he has the knowledge and experience to provide it with proper care and a suitable environment."