E. coli warning after bug found in Moray water supply
People in parts of Moray have been advised to boil their water after E. coli bacteria was found in local supplies.
The problem is affecting the Burghead, Kinloss and Findhorn areas.
Advice issued by NHS Grampian warned people to boil water before using it for drinking or cooking.
The health board said a small number of E. coli bacteria were found as part of the routine testing in the local water supply.
Consultant in public health medicine Dr Helen Howie said: "We appreciate the inconvenience this boil-water notice will bring to people and businesses in the affected areas, but at all times our priority has to be the protection of public health."
According to the advice, water that has been boiled is safe for drinking, food preparation, making baby food, brushing teeth and for pets, provided it has been allowed to cool.
Water which has been boiled and allowed to cool should be stored in clean containers in a fridge or other cold place.
It can still be used for washing, bathing - including babies - washing clothes and dishes and flushing toilets.
Anyone suffering from diarrhoea which lasts more than two days, or who is concerned any illness may be due to drinking tap water is advised to contact their GP and provide a stool specimen.
Scottish Water has launched an investigation to discover the source of the problem.