Highlands & Islands

Fire extinguished at Inverness restaurant

Fire at Rocpool
Firefighters located the fire in the basement of the restaurant

Firefighters have dealt with a fire in the basement of a restaurant in Inverness.

The alarm was raised at 03:55 after smoke was seen coming from a chimney stack above the Rocpool restaurant in Ness Walk.

Two appliances were sent to the scene and the crews located and extinguished a fire in a laundry room in the basement.

The firefighters prevented the blaze from becoming a more serious incident.

Incident commander Steven Bassindale said: "I would like to praise the efforts of the crews for their speed in which they located the fire and ensured it did not spread from the laundry room.

"Their quick actions clearly prevented a more serious fire in one of the city's old and established buildings."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites