Radioactive sludge removed from Dounreay 'ponds'
Work to remove radioactive sludge from water tanks at the Dounreay Fast Reactor (DFR) is nearing completion.
The DFR is housed within the dome, a landmark of the Dounreay nuclear plant in Caithness.
Two tanks, called ponds, were built in 1956 to store fuel and breeder elements removed from the experimental reactor.
Specially-made baskets have been used to scoop up the sludge which will be treated for storage as low-level radioactive waste.
Dismantling of the ponds is part of a wider project to demolish the reactor.