Glasgow & West Scotland

West Dunbartonshire Council alert over cold meat product

Clostridium botulinum
Image caption Clostridium Botulinum is a bacteria that can cause serious food poisoning

West Dunbartonshire Council has issued a safety alert over a cold meat product which could cause food poisoning.

The cooked and sliced meat, produced by Village Park Meats Ltd, may have been supplied to shops in the area.

Some batches have been recalled after the firm found inadequate controls were in place to prevent the growth of toxic bacterium Clostridium botulinum.

Alerts have also been issued about a fish dish from an unknown manufacturer and a soft drink laced with cocaine.

The fish balls, are purported to be manufactured by Chen Ji Foods Co Ltd.

'Serious risk'

An investigation by the Food Standards Agency, however, has been unable to find information on the manufacture or distribution of the food.

Image caption An alert has also been issued over Cole Cold Pear-D drink

Residents are also being warned about the dangers of a Caribbean soft drink, labelled as Cole Cold Pear-D.

This has been found to be contaminated with dangerous levels of cocaine and is said to pose "a very serious health risk".

No shops or supermarkets in the West Dunbartonshire area are known to stock the fish balls or Cole Cold Pear-D drink but residents are being warned against making purchases should they see the products.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites