Glasgow & West Scotland

Lightburn Hospital ward closed after bug outbreak

A Glasgow hospital has shut one of its wards to new admissions after an outbreak of streptococcal infection.

Four people admitted to a ward in Lightburn Hospital, in the east end of the city, have tested positive in the past month.

One patient being treated for a serious health condition also had a group A streptococcal infection and died.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said three other patients had only mild symptoms.

The infection would have been a contributing factor to the death of the patient but was not solely responsible, according to an NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde spokeswoman.

Dr Theresa Inkster, the health board's infection control doctor, said: "We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the family of the patient who has sadly passed away.

"As soon as we became aware of an increased number of cases the ward was closed and a range of additional infection control measures were put in place to limit any spread of infection.

"All patients affected are being nursed in isolation and have been put on a course of medication to treat the infection.

"Group A strep is a bacterium that is commonly found on the skin or in the nose and throat. Often people can have group A strep without even knowing it or suffering from any ill-effects. Because of this we have swabbed all patients and no more have been found to have the infection."

The ward has stopped admitting new patients and all infection control procedures have been put in place.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites