Glasgow & West Scotland

Clive Carter accused of murdering Khanokporn Satjawat at SECC

Khanokporn Satjawat
Image caption Khanokporn Satjawat was a delegate at a pharmaceutical conference

A man has appeared in court charged with murdering a Thai woman with a fire extinguisher at Glasgow's SECC complex.

Clive Carter, 35, is accused of killing 42-year-old Khanokporn Satjawat in the female toilets at the Clyde Auditorium on 12 November last year.

Mr Carter, from Motherwell, is also charged with attempting to defeat the ends of justice and breach of the peace over a previous incident.

The case was continued without plea at the High Court in Glasgow.

HIV conference

Ms Satjawat, a pharmaceutical firm manager, died while attending a conference on HIV drug therapy at the auditorium, which is commonly known as the Armadillo, on the banks of the Clyde.

Mr Carter is believed to have been working as a security guard at the time.

Prosecutors allege that he repeatedly struck Ms Satjawat on the head and body with a fire extinguisher.

He faces a further charge that he attempted to defeat the ends of justice in an attempt to avoid arrest.

It is claimed he cleaned blood and hair from the alleged murder weapon in a glass washing room at the Clyde Auditorium and hid a blazer he was wearing in a nearby cabin.

'False' statements

He is then alleged to have told a number of people - including police - that he had seen a male carrying a fire extinguisher and taken it from him on the floor where the female toilets were located.

It is claimed he knew those statements to be "false and untrue".

Mr Carter is also charged with committing a breach of the peace by leaving a woman in "fear and alarm" at the Holiday Inn Express in the city's Stockwell Street on 4 November last year.

It is alleged that knowing she was alone, Mr Carter claimed to be attending to a fire in her room despite knowing there was no blaze.

He is said to have repeatedly knocked on the door and entered uninvited while holding a fire extinguisher.

Ian Duguid QC, defending, asked for the case to be continued without plea.

Judge Lord Turnbull set a further hearing for next month.