Free show after Oban fireworks fiasco
- 7 November 2011
- From the section Glasgow & West Scotland
The company behind a fireworks display in Oban which lasted just 50 seconds has offered to provide another show free of charge later in the month.
A technical hitch meant that all £6,000 worth of fireworks at the bonfire night display went off within a minute instead of the scheduled 20 minutes.
Councillor Roddy McCuish, who helped to organise the show, said the public had been "absolutely brilliant".
He said a free display in Oban would take place on 27 November.
Mr McCuish thanked the company, Pyro 1, for "holding their hands up" over the mistake.
He said: "They are going to come back and do a free display in Oban at no charge over Oban Bay at the end of our winter festival."
The display took place at the town's Mossfield Stadium at 19:00 on Friday.
Mr McCuish said: "It was like daylight. It was absolutely fantastic."
He said when the display stopped after a minute he thought it had "got out of synch" with the music.
"When I did announce 'that was it', people thought I was joking," he said.
"The operative explained to me there had been a terrible malfunction."
Mr McCuish added: "The public in Oban have been absolutely fantastic.
"I was expecting a carry-on but they were fine when I announced that unfortunately 'that was it, put the lights back on'.
"The public were absolutely brilliant about it."