Chemical incident at Midlothian recycling centre

Stobhill household Waste Recycling Centre in Gorebridge The alarm was raised just before 10:00 at Stobhill household Waste Recycling Centre in Gorebridge

Eight people have been checked by ambulance crews following a chemical incident at a Midlothian recycling centre.

The council workers became unwell at Stobhill Household Waste Recycling Centre in Gorebridge after a spill of Ammonia Chloride Sulphate at 09:50.

An area around the depot was cordoned off as a public safety measure until it was declared safe at 15:00.

A Midlothian Council spokeswoman said the chemical had a low to medium risk.

A Midlothian Council spokeswoman, said: "We take these types of incidents very seriously and as soon as they occur we work with our colleagues in emergency services to put our emergency contingency plan into place.

"We would like to thank everyone for their patience this morning, while the fire service undertook their investigations.

"Thankfully the chemical turned out to be low risk with no health implications for anyone involved."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Edinburgh, Fife and East

Weather

Edinburgh

Min. Night 8 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.