Bomb team finds suspect material in Edinburgh flats search
- 25 April 2014
- From the section Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland
Bomb disposal officers have removed suspect material from a block of flats in the Leith area of Edinburgh.
Local residents had been evacuated from nearby properties as officers searched an address in Persevere Court.
Police Scotland said an army bomb disposal team would destroy the material in a controlled explosion. It was recovered as part on an ongoing operation.
Cordons put in place in the area have now been lifted, and roads reopened.
It follows a similar search at a block of flats in the Muirhouse area of the city last Friday.
A police spokesman said: "There is no risk to the public.
"All cordons have been lifted in the area of Persevere Court and residents are being allowed back to their homes."
On Tuesday, Faris Alkhori, 61, appeared in court charged under the Terrorism Act after a tower block in the Muirhouse area of the city was evacuated on Friday night.
He was charged under the Terrorism Act 2006 and the Explosive Substances Act 1883 when he appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court.
He made no plea or declaration and was remanded in custody.