Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

'Significant' fire at TGI Friday's in Edinburgh

Media captionThe fire is thought to have started in the restaurant's kitchen

About 50 firefighters have tackled with a significant blaze in central Edinburgh.

The fire started in the kitchen of the TGI Friday's restaurant on Castle Street just before 13:00.

The restaurant and neighbouring buildings were evacuated and streets closed off while crews brought it under control.

Part of the roof collapsed as a result of the blaze. There were no reports of any injuries.

Cordoned off

The kitchen is in the basement of a two-storey annex attached to the back of a four-storey tenement block.

Image caption Crews from across the capital were sent to the scene

Eight crews were called to the scene and sections of Castle Street and Rose Street were cordoned off.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue spokesman said: "With reports indicating people could be inside the premises, firefighters donned breathing apparatus to begin search and rescue operations while additional crews made their way to the scene from across the capital.

"Firefighters surrounded the building and used multiple high-pressure water jets to douse the flames, with some taking up position on turntable ladders to tackle the fire from above.

"Moving room-to-room, firefighters conducted a thorough search of the premises and confirmed no-one remained inside the building."

The extent of the damage is not yet known but the fire service said other properties had been affected by the smoke and water.

Building control staff from Edinburgh City Council were at the scene to check the safety of the affected structures.

Darrell Wade, chief operating officer at TGI Friday's, said: "We can confirm that a fire broke out within the property that we occupy on Castle Street in Edinburgh.

"We immediately evacuated our restaurant and all guests and team members safely left the building.

"We are now working closely with the Edinburgh fire service to help understand the cause of the fire.

"At this stage the exact cause and location of the breakout is inconclusive."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites