Man and boy in hospital after house fire in Craigentinny Road

A man and an 11-year-old boy have been taken to hospital after a candle sparked a fire in an Edinburgh flat.

Emergency services were called to the blaze in a second-floor tenement flat in Craigentinny Road at 03:10.

A man, aged 42, a woman, aged 44, and the boy were led from the property and given oxygen by firefighters until paramedics arrived at the scene.

The man and the boy were then taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for further treatment for smoke inhalation.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said the fire started with a candle left on a set of plastic drawers in a bedroom.

The flat was fitted with a smoke alarm but it failed to activate.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Edinburgh, Fife and East

Weather

Edinburgh

Min. Night 12 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.