Tribute after two fishermen die at Gladhouse Reservoir

David Archibald David Archibald died at Gladhouse Reservoir, Gorebridge

The family of one of two men who died during a fishing trip in Midlothian have paid tribute to a "loving husband and father".

David Archibald, 59, from Dalkeith was with his friend Andrew Conlon, 56, at the Gladhouse Reservoir in Gorebridge on Sunday.

The men's families alerted police when they failed to return home and a major search was launched.

Their bodies were recovered from the water in the early hours of Monday.

In a statement Mr Archibald's wife Heather said: "For more than 35-years David was a devoted and loving husband and father.

"He was always there for his family and friends and you would struggle to find anyone with a bad word to say about him.

"When not working as a technician at the University of Edinburgh, David would often indulge his passion for fishing, regularly heading out with his friends on their various excursions.

Gladhouse Reservoir Pic: Brian Innes The pair had been on one of their regular fishing trips at Gladhouse Reservoir

"He also loved communicating with his friends and colleagues within the scientific community across the world regarding his interest in alternative energy sources."

She added: "His death has left a massive hole in the lives of all of those who knew and loved him and we must now come to terms with the full extent of our grief.

"We are immensely grateful for the kind words of support the local community has already offered us."

Police said it seemed to have been a "tragic accident".

Post-mortem examinations were set to take place and a report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.

Insp Neil Simpson, of Lothian and Borders Police, said: "We are carrying out extensive inquiries to find out what happened to these two men.

Gladhouse Reservoir Pic: Brian Innes Police said it seemed to have been a "tragic accident"

"They had been taking part in what was a routine activity for them when something happened, which resulted in them losing their lives.

"Early indications are that this was a tragic accident and there are no suspicious circumstances."

He added: "Our thoughts are with the two families and we have officers working with them to provide support. They are being kept fully informed."

The alarm was raised when the men did not return to their homes as usual as darkness fell.

Police officers carried out initial searches during worsening weather conditions and asked for help from an RAF search and rescue helicopter.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Edinburgh, Fife and East



11 °C 11 °C


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.