Baby in hospital after electric blanket fire

A five-month-old baby has been taken to hospital after a fire broke out in a bedroom of a house in Edinburgh, caused by a faulty electric blanket.

Fire crews were called to the house at Cobden Crescent, in the Newington area of Edinburgh, at about 00:20.

The baby boy was given oxygen before being taken by ambulance to the city's Royal Hospital for Sick Children, where he was treated for smoke inhalation.

A faulty electric blanket caused a bed to catch fire, the fire service said.

Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said: "This is a salutary reminder that electrical blankets should be checked every year to make sure that they are in good working order.

"By coincidence, the service is carrying out electric blanket testing in West Lothian on Thursday because every winter we deal with this type of incident and, although in small numbers, we want to reduce the likelihood of a repeat.

"In particular, don't fold electric blankets when storing them as this can cause damage to the wiring. If in doubt get your blanket tested by a qualified electrician."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Edinburgh, Fife and East

Weather

Edinburgh

7 °C 5 °C

Features

  • Elderly manSuicide decline

    The number of old people killing themselves has fallen. Why?


  • Petrol pumpPumping up

    Why are petrol prices rising again?


  • Image of George from Tube CrushTube crush

    How London's male commuters set Chinese hearts racing


  • TricycleTreasure trove

    The lost property shop stuffed with diamonds, bikes... and a leg


  • Boris Nemtsov'I loved Nemtsov'

    A murder in an atmosphere of hatred and intolerance


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.