Pet cats die after being poisoned in West Lothian
Animal welfare officers are warning that acts of pet cruelty can lead to fines and prison after two cats were poisoned to death in West Lothian.
The pets were poisoned in Bathgate. A post-mortem examination confirmed one cat had anti-freeze in its system.
In 2007, the Scottish SPCA was alerted to 19 instances of suspected cat poisoning. Already 44 reports have been received in 2010.
Anyone found guilty of pet cruelty faces up to six months in jail.
In addition, they can also be fined up to £5,000.
Ch Supt Mike Flynn, of the Scottish SPCA, said: "Both cats were young and healthy and died as a result of poisoning.
"Sadly, the number of cat poisoning incidents in Scotland has increased rapidly over the past three years.
"However, cases such as this are very difficult to investigate as there is rarely a witness or evidence against the perpetrator."
Lynne Erskine of Glenmavis Drive and the owner of Dodi, who died after being poisoned by anti-freeze in the latest incident, said: "We've now lost two cats in the space of a year as one of our cats died last October and I now think it is more than likely he was also poisoned.
"Dodi was a rescue cat we re-homed in February. He was a much loved family pet who was brilliant with both my daughters.
"It's a real loss to the whole family and we all miss him very much."