Chimney dismantled to rescue boy, 14

Boy trapped in chimney stack Fire crews dismantled the chimney stack brick by brick to free to boy

Firefighters in South Lanarkshire have dismantled a 20ft (6m) tall chimney stack, brick by brick, to rescue a 14-year-old boy who got wedged inside.

He became stuck in the chimney of the single-storey building in Cassels Street, Carluke, at 17:15 on Wednesday.

It is not clear how the boy, who escaped with minor injuries, fell down the chimney of the commercial property.

Scottish Fire and Rescue said the "delicate operation" had to be carried out "carefully and methodically".

"Initial attempts were made to rescue the youth from both the top and bottom of the chimney," a spokesman said.

"However these proved unsuccessful due to his position within the chimney.

"This meant that the only possible way to release him was to remove brickwork and gain access to the chimney flue."

The boy was taken to hospital as a precaution, the spokesman added.

More Scotland stories

RSS

Features

  • Member of staff at The National Archives in KewFree information?

    The reaction when 13 departments were sent the same FOI request


  • Andy Murray in action in the Australian Open semi finalTeam tennis

    Why it pays for players like Murray to have an entourage


  • Dippy on display in the Hintze Hall. Photo by Nathalie DiazFarewell to Dippy

    Your stories of the most famous dinosaur in Kensington


  • Motorists make their way over Hannahstown Hill on January 29, 2015 in Belfast, In pictures

    Wintry images of UK's most widespread snow so far this year


  • Composite picture of David Cameron and Nick Clegg on separate official visitsMarginal choices?

    New funds for your town - but is visiting minister after your vote?


Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.