7 February 2013
Last updated at 01:01
More than 200,000 oil paintings from museums and collections in the UK have been digitised by the Public Catalogue Foundation in a project called Your Paintings. This is the Fife Coast and Bass Rock by John McGhie, from the early 20th century. Copyright: University of St Andrews.
North Wind, Kilbrannan Sound by William McTaggart, from 1883, was bequeathed by William McInnes in 1944. Copyright: Glasgow Museums. Digitised oil paintings are available to view in the bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/ website.
Silvius and Phoebe was painted by John Pettie in 1872 and bequeathed by Alexander Macdonald in 1901. Courtesy of Aberdeen Art Gallery and Museums Collection.
A Musician's Reverie by John Pettie. Undated but first exhibited in 1886 and presented in 1899 by the trustees of the late J.C. Chalmers, of Banchory. Courtesy of Aberdeen Art Gallery and Museums Collection.
A Groundswell, Carradale, by William McTaggart, 1883-1886. Purchased in 1931 with income from the Webster bequest. Courtesy of Aberdeen Art Gallery and Museums Collection.
The Romans building a Fort at Mancenion, AD 80, by Ford Madox Brown. Painted around 1879/80 and purchased in 1929 with income from the Webster bequest. Courtesy of Aberdeen Art Gallery and Museums Collection.
The Twa Corbies by Campbell Lindsay Smith, 1901. Presented in 1945 by Miss E. Sommerville. Courtesy of Aberdeen Art Gallery and Museums Collection.
Ceres by Samuel Peploe, c.1900-1935. Part of the 'Recording Scotland' Collection which provided work for artists during World War II and created 'a permanent pictorial record of a Scotland thought to be at risk from bombs and growing industrialisation'. Copyright: University of St Andrews.
John Duncan Fergusson lived from 1894 to 1961. His 'Sun, Wind and Sea, and the Smell of the Pines' was gifted by the Contemporary Art Society in 1964. © The Fergusson Gallery, Perth & Kinross Council.
The Death of Archbishop Sharpe by John Opie, oil on canvas, 1797. Sharpe had been the archbishop of St Andrews and chancellor of St Andrews University from 1661 to 1679. On 3 May 1679 he was murdered on Magus Muir, near St Andrews, by Fife lairds and farmers who opposed his actions. Copyright: University of St Andrews.
Robert Saunders Dundas, second Viscount Melville, by David Wilkie, 1831. Melville was chancellor of the University of St Andrews from 1814 to 1851. He is depicted in the robes of the chancellor with the new college buildings in the background. Copyright: University of St Andrews.
Capriccio view of the ruins of St Andrews, unknown artist, 18th century. The work is not an accurate geographic representation as the ruins of the Cathedral and Blackfriars Chapel are about half a mile apart. Copyright: University of St Andrews.
James Graham, Marquis of Montrose, by John Alexander after Gerrit Honthorst, 1731. Montrose was educated at St Andrews and was captain general of Royalist forces in Scotland during the civil war. Copyright: University of St Andrews.
Charles James Lauder, Glasgow Bridge, c.1890, was bequeathed by Sir Alexander Cross in 1963. Copyright: Glasgow Museums. The public can create a large scale reproduction of the painting at Silverburn shopping centre, Glasgow, on 23 February.
A Mountain Burn, Glen Shieldaig, Ross-shire, by William Beattie-Brown, c. 1871-1884, was gifted by Helen Walker in 1933. Copyright: Glasgow Museums.
Children on the Sands by Hornel, 1927, was bequeathed by Jessie W. Craig in 1950. Copyright: Glasgow Museums.
Thomas Hardy by William Strang, 1920, was gifted by Sir John R. Richmond in 1923. Copyright: Glasgow Museums.
John Knox (1798-1845), View of Glencoe, was purchased 1983. Copyright: Glasgow Museums.