Gardeners warned of Legionnaires' risk in compost

Help

Gardeners in Scotland have been warned to wash their hands after handling compost following a spate of cases of a rare form of Legionnaires' disease.

Over the past five years, one person has died and five others have become ill after contracting a strain of Legionella linked to compost.

Experts think the victims inhaled Legionnaires' from water droplets in compost. BBC Scotland's health correspondent Eleanor Bradford reports.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.