End to recession gives hope to coalition partners

 
David Cameron and Nick Clegg The figures will boost ministers as they seek to argue that the economy is on the right track

Forget for a moment the debate about margins of error, the impact of the Olympics, and the bounce back from the Jubilee bank holiday.

Ignore the talk of preliminary figures and how they compare with this financial quarter or that.

Turn down the sound on your telly so the cacophony from dissenting economists is dimmed. And put aside, too, the chancellor's cautious, mixed metaphors about the government laying down the foundations for a healing, rebalancing economy that's on the right track.

The truth, if you will forgive my own mixed metaphors, is that it is very difficult to claim with any certainty whether today's growth figures mark a turning of the tide or a false dawn for the economy.

But the political significance is undeniable:

1. The figures allow the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats to hope. It allows them to dare to believe that Plan A might just work, that somehow in two years time they may be able to go into the election saying the pain has been worth it. And political confidence, like economic confidence, is a prize worth having.

2. It allows the coalition parties to begin rehearsing their argument for the next election, namely their claim that the economy is on the right track and voters should not risk it all by backing Labour. That is not an argument any government can make convincingly when the economy is in recession.

3. It puts pressure on Labour to come up with a strategy that responds to this argument, namely how it will claim that they would manage the economy better when there may be some sustained growth by 2015. In other words, how will Labour offer greater hope when its message thus far has been one of gloom? Will warning the government against complacency and calling for a VAT cut be enough?

4. It could have been so much worse for the government. If there had been no growth despite the Olympics and so on, there might have been a crisis of confidence among Conservative and Lib Dem MPs who are looking closely at their majorities and turning their minds to the general election.

5. Perhaps most importantly, it gives the government the chance to try to break out of the awful run of bad news that has hung around its neck since the economy fell into recession and the Budget collapsed into omnishambles. After months of headlines about pasty taxes, plebgate, confusion over energy policy, West Coast mainline chaos, G4S Olympic security muddle, abandoned Lords' reforms and badger culls and so on, the government will hope it has a chance to change the narrative.

But, to misquote Mr Marvin Gaye, it is not clear that "statistical healing is good for me".

Those around George Osborne have for months been - perhaps a tad optimistically - arguing that once the economic figures turn around, then the political figures will shift too.

But what matters are not just economic figures, but how voters feel about the economy. Do they feel secure in their jobs? Do they feel confident they can find a job? Do they feel ready to risk an investment to grow their business? Above all, do they believe the government is competent?

And as we saw from Prime Minister's Questions this week, that is a running sore in the side of this administration into which Ed Miliband will happily pour much salt.

Just ask Sir John Major. He had several years of growth under his belt by 1997. And a fat lot of good it did him.

 
James Landale Article written by James Landale James Landale Deputy political editor

Major praises 'drive' of immigrants

Former prime minister Sir John Major praises immigrants for having what he calls "the very Conservative instinct" of wanting to improve their lives.

Read full article

More on This Story

Related Stories

Comments

This entry is now closed for comments

Jump to comments pagination
 
  • rate this
    0

    Comment number 47.

    @14
    You've quoted a blogger who has cherry picked his figures for his arguement. The article lost all relevance when he claimed Labour wont defend themselves because they dont want to win in 2015. They dont want to make the hard choices and become a nasty party.
    If their record was so good and everything is fine and rosy, what hard choices?

  • rate this
    0

    Comment number 46.

    I've been a Tory voter all my life...but never again! The present political set-up, continually 'tooing and froing' is destroying us, and the working class pick up the bill every time! It's time for a 'sea change' in the political landscape to save us in this country and Europe. The 'cuts' are just beginning, God help the working classes when they start for real! Look at Greece and Spain!

  • rate this
    0

    Comment number 45.

    44.Joe Public - "Once we get Christmas and the New Year sales out of the way, I'm looking forward to a tripple-dip recession....."

    Yup, the economy was growing out of recession when the Coalition came in......their initial cuts (only 20% of the total cuts planned) caused the double dip......the triple dip when the other 80% kick in could be 4 or more times worse than the double dip......

  • rate this
    +1

    Comment number 44.

    Once we get Christmas and the New Year sales out of the way, I'm looking forward to a tripple-dip recession and the end of The Condoms (sic).

  • rate this
    0

    Comment number 43.

    In a week of bright ideas (make pensioners look after the elderly to earn their pension, limit child benefit to 2 children in families on benefits) I have got a bright idea...
    Why don't the10% who hold most of the nations wealth give it away to the other 90% to help spread priviledge? (Gulp!)

 

Comments 5 of 47

 

Features

  • Cockatoo stripping a tool from a block of wood (c) A Auersperg Bright birds

    Cockatoos teach each other to use tools


  • John CurticeScotland decides

    Referendum race 'may just have got tighter'


  • RihannaCloud caution

    After celebrity leaks, what can you do to safeguard your photos?


  • Cesc FabregasFair price?

    Have some football clubs overpaid for their new players?


  • Woman and hairdryerBlow back

    Would banning high-power appliances actually save energy?


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.