Family treated after Strabane house fire

The family managed to get out of the house after a smoke alarm alerted them of the fire The family managed to get out of the house after a smoke alarm alerted them of the fire

A mother, her 10-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter, have been treated for the effects of breathing in smoke after a house fire in Strabane, County Tyrone.

Fire crews were called to the house in Springhill Park shortly before 09:00 BST on Saturday.

The three family members have been taken to Altnagelvin Hospital.

Paddy Quinn from the Fire and Rescue Service said the house was well alight when they arrived.

He said the family were alerted by a smoke alarm and had managed to get out.

"There was evidence of a rapid fire spread and without a working smoke alarm - I wouldn't like to contemplate the consequences," he said.

Features

  • Cesc FabregasFair price?

    Have some football clubs overpaid for their new players?


  • Woman and hairdryerBlow back

    Would banning high-power appliances actually save energy?


  • Members of staff at James Stevenson Flags hold a Union Jack and Saltire flag UK minus Scotland

    Does the rest of the UK care if the Scots become independent?


  • Women doing ice bucket challengeChill factor

    How much has the Ice Bucket Challenge achieved?


  • Women in front of Windows XP posterUpgrade angst

    Readers share their experiences of replacing their operating system


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.