Northern Ireland

Elderly woman dies in Larne house fire

The fire started in an upstairs bedroom of the house in Greenland Walk
The fire started in an upstairs bedroom of the house in Greenland Walk

A woman in her late 70s has died in a house fire in Larne, County Antrim.

Firefighters were called to the property in Greenland Walk at about 05:45 BST on Monday after a fire started in an upstairs bedroom.

They brought the pensioner out of the house where she was given first aid as they waited for paramedics to arrive. However, the woman died at the scene.

A Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said the fire was believed to have started accidentally.

Three fire appliances were used in the operation and the blaze was put out by 07:50 BST.