Ballymurphy Army killings: Family call to exhume Joseph Murphy

Ballymurphy campaigners Relatives of those shot dead in Ballymurphy in 1971

Related Stories

The family of one of 10 people shot dead by soldiers in Ballymurphy in 1971 has applied to a coroner to have the body exhumed.

Joseph Murphy was one of those who died over three days in west Belfast in shootings involving the Parachute Regiment.

On Monday, his family applied to Belfast's Coroners Court for permission to exhume his body.

They said documentation from the time did not accurately record his injuries.

The family believe that Mr Murphy, who survived for 13 days after being shot, may have been shot a second time while in custody inside an army barracks.

A priest and a mother of eight were among the civilians shot dead by the soldiers.

An 11th person who is not covered by the inquest proceedings died of a heart attack after a confrontation involving soldiers.

Janet Donnelly Janet Donnelly, daughter of Joseph Murphy, wants to have his body exhumed

The families are campaigning for an independent investigation into the deaths of their loved ones.

Last year, the families said they wanted former police ombudsman Nuala O'Loan to chair an independent panel. Its remit would include examining all documents and papers relating to the deaths.

The seven-strong panel would also include Prof Phil Scraton, author of the independent Hillsborough report into the deaths of 96 football fans in 1989, and civil rights lawyer Gareth Pierce.

The relatives said the panel should report within 12-18 months, and should be funded by the British and Irish governments.

Its work would reflect the terms of reference of the government-funded Hillsborough Independent Panel. The group also wants an apology from the government.

The Ballymurphy shootings took place hours after the government introduced a policy of internment - the detention of paramilitary suspects without charge or trial.

The Parachute Regiment was involved in an operation in Ballymurphy to arrest people suspected of paramilitary activity.

The troops said they opened fire after they were shot at by republicans.

The priest, Fr Hugh Mullan, was shot as he went to the aid of a wounded man.

In June 2012, the former Northern Ireland secretary, Owen Paterson, turned down the campaigners' request for an inquiry.

The families said Mr Paterson told them it was "not in the public interest".

More on This Story

Related Stories

More Northern Ireland stories

RSS

Features

  • A painting of the White House on fire by Tom FreemanFinders keepers

    The odd objects looted by the British from Washington in 1814


  • Chris and Regina Catrambone with their daughter Maria LuisaSOS

    The millionaires who rescue people at sea


  • groynes at ClactonRunning the rule

    Will Clacton's voters opt for UKIP over the Tories?


  • Plane7 days quiz

    What unusual offence got a Frenchman thrown off a plane?


  • Children testing a bridge at a model-making summer school in Crawley, West SussexTiny shipyard Watch

    The art of making boats out of coffee stirrers


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.