Kabul bomb blast: British man killed was living in Limavady
- 18 January 2014
- From the section Northern Ireland
One of the two Britons killed in a suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan on Friday night had been living in Limavady with his partner and two sons.
Simon Chase was originally from Chester but moved to Limavady 20 years ago. He was among 21 people killed in a restaurant in Kabul.
It is understood he had been serving with the EU police mission, Eupol.
The deputy mayor of Limavady, James McCorkell, said the former soldier was "an adopted son of Limavady".
"I know there is an immense outpouring of shock, sadness and grief here in Limavady from the huge circle of friends which Simon had built up," he said.
"Simon was carrying out an incredibly important yet, as we know now, a highly dangerous job. He was extremely brave and fearless in his service, yet also incredibly kind and loving to those he had gone out to protect.
"We will explore avenues within the council as to how best we can honour Simon but for now, my thoughts and prayers remain with everyone concerned."
Like many ex-servicemen, Mr Chase worked in a variety of security roles - including jobs at this nightclub and the town's Corner Bar.
Its manager, Anthony Doherty, said: "Si worked here for years. The staff that worked with him commented that he was a true gentleman, a great friend and had a nature that he couldn't see the wrong in anyone.
"Obviously they're very upset today. Our thoughts and prayers are with Norma and the kids at this very sad time."
Twenty-one people in total were killed in the gun and bomb attack.
A senior IMF official and four UN employees were among those who died.
A suicide attacker detonated his explosives outside the gate of the heavily fortified restaurant before two gunmen entered the restaurant and started "indiscriminately killing" people inside.
The Taliban said they carried out the attack late on Friday.
UN chief Ban Ki-moon described it as a "horrific attack".
A number of Afghan officials have been suspended while an investigation is carried out into the suicide bomb and gun attack.
The Afghan Interior Minister Mohammad Omar Daudzai warned security officials in the capital that negligence would not be tolerated.