Neighbours praised after fire in Mackey Street, Belfast
- 29 December 2013
- From the section Northern Ireland
Neighbours who rescued two people from a house fire in the Tiger's Bay area of north Belfast have been praised by the police and politicians.
The fire - being treated as malicious - was discovered at a house in Mackey Street just after midnight on Sunday.
Two people who had been asleep on the first floor of the house escaped by using a neighbour's ladder.
A wheelie bin was found on fire next to the door of the house.
DUP councillor for north Belfast, Guy Spence, condemned the attack.
"It's deeply concerning and I'm sure that the community is in shock at what happened last night," he said.
However, he added that the neighbours needed to be praised for their quick thinking in helping the couple to escape from the house.
He said: "It's certainly something this community is all about, they look after one another.
"This community has stood strong throughout the years and it continues to stand strong. It's a deeply well-knitted community."