Belfast loyalist parade organiser to be prosecuted
The organiser of a loyalist protest march in Belfast last Saturday is to be prosecuted, the Policing Board has been told.
Hundreds of loyalists took part in the march, which came days before the first anniversary of a council decision to limit the flying of the union flag.
Assistant Chief Constable Will Kerr said the unnamed organiser of the parade had been spoken to by police.
He said he would be prosecuted for breaching a Parades Commission ruling.
Two police officers were injured at the junction of Tennent Street and Crumlin Road in north Belfast as they blocked demonstrators who left the designated route.
The march began an hour late, breaching a Parades Commission ruling that had instructed the protesters to leave the city hall area by noon.
The parade organisers had expected up to 5,000 people to take part.
But on the day an estimated 1,500 demonstrators took to the streets in what became an unlawful parade, due to the delayed start of the march.
It is believed the same person organised a similar march through Belfast city centre on 21 September.
More than 3,000 protesters took part in the September march, which also breached a Parades Commission ruling.