PSNI say 560 charged or reported over flag protests

Det Supt Sean Wright appealed for people taking part in protests to do so 'lawfully'

Related Stories

Police have said 560 people have been charged or reported in connection with flag protests in Northern Ireland.

Two hundred and sixty people have already been convicted.

The officer in charge of Operation Titan, Det Supt Sean Wright, appealed for anyone taking part in planned protests later this month to do so lawfully and peacefully.

Operation Titan was set-up to investigate public order-related incidents since 12 July.

Police released the figures at a press conference at PSNI headquarters in Belfast on Monday.

ACC Will Kerr said 2013 had been a challenging year for policing.

He said the last four years had seen a severe dissident republican threat, however recently there had been an upsurge in activity.

In relation to the loyalist paramilitary group, the UVF, ACC Kerr said that elements of the group, particularly in east Belfast, had been involved in a range of criminal activity, however the issue of respecification was a political decision.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More Northern Ireland stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.