Man is rescued from Cromwell Road flat fire

The fire happened at a flat on Cromwell Road The fire happened at a flat on Cromwell Road

A man has been rescued from a fire in a first floor flat in south Belfast.

The fire service was alerted to the blaze on the Cromwell Road at about 04:00 BST on Sunday.

Three fire crews were involved in the rescue, which saw the man brought to safety from a window ledge by firefighters using a ladder.

Smoke alarms had alerted the man to the blaze. No-one else was in the flat at the time.

Fire station commander Michael Roberts said the man had a fortunate escape.

"He had made his way out onto a window ledge where he was rescued by fire and rescue service personnel using a ladder," Mr Roberts said.

"The fire itself was accidental there was nothing of a suspicious nature.

"However, had there not been a working smoke alarm within the property we could have been looking at a totally different set of circumstances."

More Northern Ireland stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.