Northern Ireland

Crusaders FC in plea over flag protest

Image caption The match was called off at about 15:10 GMT on Saturday

Crusaders FC have called for an end to flag protests in the vicinity of their stadium, Seaview, following the cancellation of Saturday's Irish League Premiership game against Cliftonville.

The north Belfast derby was called off due to a union flag protest outside the ground.

Two men and a woman have been charged in connection with the protest.

All three were released on police bail to appear in court on 13 March.

In a statement, Crusaders FC said its facilities were used by "the whole community" and that it did not want a repeat of the protest.

"It is a matter of great pride for our club that our membership, employees, volunteers, players and supporters come from all sections of the community," it said.

"That is the way things have always been at Crusaders and it is the way it will remain.

"We are requesting that our members, supporters, local residents, community groups, schools, churches, politicians, sporting bodies, and all other interested parties use all their influence to put an end to flag protests in the environs of our stadium."

The club said it had entered into "extensive dialogue" with residents from Skegoneill Avenue and others from November 2012.

It said residents had raised concerns in relation to Cliftonville fans travelling to games at Seaview, and a protest had been mooted, but that had been resolved in advance of the match and the planned protest had been "called off".

Crusaders said it was its view that the cancelled game should be played at Seaview "at the earliest possible opportunity".

It said it had the "support of Cliftonville FC and the wider football family in that regard".

It also apologised "to any football supporters or local residents" who were inconvenienced on Saturday.

A small 'white line' protest was allowed to take place for about 40 minutes on Saturday afternoon.

Police moved it on to allow fans to get into the north Belfast ground.

The match was called off at 15:10 GMT because of safety concerns.

Most Cliftonville supporters and many Crusaders fans had been unable to gain access to the stadium.

More on this story