Ballymurphy relatives meet NIO official
- 9 October 2012
- From the section Northern Ireland
Two men who lost their fathers in shootings in Ballymurphy in August 1971 have met an official from the Northern Ireland Office.
John Teggart and Patrick Doherty, whose fathers were both shot by the Army, are in Birmingham lobbying delegates at the Conservative Party conference.
The two men want a new investigation into the shootings of August 1971, when 11 people died over three days.
They also want to meet Prime Minster David Cameron.
They met Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers briefly at a fringe meeting on Tuesday morning, when the meeting with some of her officials was arranged.
Speaking afterwards Mr Teggart said it had been a "positive step forward".
A priest and a mother-of-eight were among those who died in Ballymurphy. The Army said it fired in response to shots from republican paramilitaries.
The victims were killed over three days by paratroops during Operation Demetrius, when people suspected of paramilitary activity were interned.
In June, relatives of those killed said then Northern Ireland Secretary Owen Paterson had told them an inquiry was "not in the public interest".
Last November, Attorney General John Larkin announced new inquests would be held into the Ballymurphy killings.