David Ford said he has offered legal aid compromise

Legal aid Proper representation for defendants is impossible at the new rate, a solicitors' body has warned

Related Stories

Justice Minister David Ford has said he has offered to compromise with solicitors over the introduction of a new legal aid fee structure.

Earlier, he was accused of bringing in "yellow pack justice" by a solicitors' body.

The justice minister wants to cut the legal aid budget from £100m to £75m over three years. Some solicitors have withdrawn their services in protest.

On Thursday, it emerged a London firm is considering entering the market.

Pearse MacDermott from the Solicitors Criminal Bar Association said proper representation was impossible at the proposed new rates.

'Lowest denominator'

He added: "What the minister is seeking is to get some kind of yellow pack justice. He's looking for the cheapest, lowest common denominator.

"Nobody who is a professional person, who does their job properly, who challenges the prosecution evidence to the nth degree will be able to do this work on the fees being offered by the courts service."

However, Mr Ford said: "I have offered a compromise to the lawyers that if we get enough cases through to do a valid assessment of these current procedures, we will review significantly earlier than the normal two-year review.

"But the simple position is the legislation is now through, that was an honourable compromise, yet what I'm now getting is attacks from solicitors for trying to make that honourable compromise."

Mr Ford says that the current system is unaffordable and that the new rates will still be higher than those in England and Wales.

But Mr MacDermott said that argument was weak because the Public Accounts Committee at Westminster had criticised the lack of funding for the courts services there.

Mr Ford's position has been backed by the Stormont committee which scrutinises his department.

More than 150 criminal cases are currently stalled and more than 200 defendants are without representation.

As well as the London-based firm, it is understood several local companies who previously avoided publicly funded criminal representation are now preparing to take such work.

'Pleasing response'

Negotiations between the department and the Law Society - which represents Northern Ireland's solicitors - have failed to resolve the dispute.

Meanwhile the department has written to all legal firms in Northern Ireland asking them if they would be prepared to work under the new terms.

A final list of willing firms will be ready by Friday and will then be passed directly to defendants who are currently without representation.

It is understood that the department is pleased with the response it has received and believes it will soon have enough new lawyers to clear the backlog of cases.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Northern Ireland stories

RSS

Features

  • Cesc FabregasFair price?

    Have some football clubs overpaid for their new players?


  • Woman and hairdryerBlow back

    Would banning high-power appliances actually save energy?


  • Members of staff at James Stevenson Flags hold a Union Jack and Saltire flag UK minus Scotland

    Does the rest of the UK care if the Scots become independent?


  • Women doing ice bucket challengeChill factor

    How much has the Ice Bucket Challenge achieved?


  • Women in front of Windows XP posterUpgrade angst

    Readers share their experiences of replacing their operating system


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.