Travers killer appointment row prompts advisors review

Mary Travers Mary Travers was murdered by the IRA in 1984

Related Stories

The DUP have announced that Finance Minister Sammy Wilson is to carry out a review of the process for the appointment of special advisors.

The announcement comes amid an ongoing controversy over the appointment of a convicted killer as a Stormont adviser.

Mary McArdle was convicted of killing Mary Travers in 1984 and her new role has angered the Travers family.

First Minister Peter Robinson asked Mr Wilson to launch the review following a meeting with the Travers family.

The meeting took place at DUP headquarters on Friday afternoon.

The DUP said in a statement that Mr Robinson was "very happy to meet with Mrs Travers and expressed his sympathy to Ann and her family".

"The appointment of Mary McArdle as the special advisor at the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure has caused further hurt to the Travers family," the statement said.

"Mr Robinson has already said that the appointment was insensitive and a mistake."

Mrs McArdle was part of an IRA gang which ambushed magistrate Tom Travers and his family as they left Mass shooting his daughter Mary dead.

The former prisoner was controversially appointed to the role of special adviser last month.

In her first interview since the row began, Mrs McArdle said she regretted the murder and that it was a "tragic mistake" - comments rejected by the Travers' family.

'Entitled'

Earlier, Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness indicated that Sinn Fein would not reconsider the appointment.

Mr McGuinness said that the killing of the magistrate's daughter was "wrong" and "should never have happened".

But he said those who were part of conflict needed to be part of building a new society.

Mr McGuinness told BBC Radio Ulster's Inside Politics programme that his heart went out to Mary Travers' sister Ann and he fully understood why she would be angered by Ms McArdle's appointment.

He added: "The big question that people have to answer is: are people who have been part of the conflict, are they entitled to have a role in building a better future?"

He said the appointment of IRA hunger striker Leo Green as an adviser at the restoration of devolution had not caused a similar problem.

"There was no controversy about that at that particular time," he said.

"There is controversy now because Ann obviously feels very hurt and I respect the fact that she feels the way she feels.

"But if we were to apply the rule that people who were part of the conflict can't be part of building a better future, then Nelson Mandela would never have been president of South Africa."

And you can hear more of Mr McGuinness' interview with Inside Politics at 1300 BST on BBC Radio Ulster on Sunday.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Northern Ireland stories

RSS

Features

  • How ebola spread graphicPatient zero

    Tracking first Ebola victim and how virus spread


  • A young Chinese girl looks at an image of BarbieBarbie's battle

    Can the doll make it in China at the second attempt?


  • Prosperi in the 1994 MdSLost in the desert

    How I drank bat blood and urine to survive in the Sahara


  • Afghan interpetersBlacklisted

    The Afghan interpreters left by the US to the mercy of the Taliban


  • Flooded homesNo respite

    Many hit by last winter's floods are struggling to pay soaring insurance bills


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.