Facebook removes Neil Lennon threat web page

Facebook logo

Related Stories

A Facebook page which made threats against Celtic manager Neil Lennon has been taken down after widespread condemnation.

SDLP Councillor Niall Kelly said the page was "sick" and contained "offensive, sectarian comments".

He could not understand why it took more than 24 hours to remove it.

Facebook said it did not comment on individual cases, but said a team of experts had been called in to review the page.

They said that the page was removed on Tuesday morning and there could have been several reasons behind its removal.

They said it was reviewed on Monday and they did not see fit to remove it but it was reviewed again on Tuesday and had since been taken down.

Last week, Mr Lennon and two of his club's players, Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt, were sent bullets in the post.

Mr Lennon, a former Northern Ireland international, was forced to withdraw from an NI game in 2002 after death threats.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Northern Ireland stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.