Two in court over Twelfth riots in Belfast
A man and a youth have been remanded in custody accused of being involved in Twelfth of July rioting in south Belfast.
The 16-year-old suspect, who cannot be named, is charged with throwing a petrol bomb with intent to injure police officers.
He faces a second count of riotous behaviour in the Ormeau Road area.
Gary Kelly, 20, of Lavinia Mews, Belfast, was charged with riotous assembly on the same date.
Meanwhile, two men have been arrested by police investigating a shooting in which three police officers were injured in north Belfast on 12 July.
The men, aged 25 and 35, were taken to Antrim police station for questioning about the gun attack in North Queen Street, during a riot on Monday.
End Quote Duncan McCausland Assistant Chief Constable
We will now continue to work hard to identity those involved and will be doing our utmost to put people before the courts”
A total of seven people have been arrested so far over recent violence.
On Wednesday, during a fourth night of trouble in north Belfast, police fired a number of baton rounds.
A car was set on fire and petrol bombs and fireworks were thrown during sporadic violence in Ardoyne.
Two men in their late teens and early 20s were arrested. One was released pending further inquiries.
Wednesday night's trouble was less intense than the violence seen on previous evenings and involved fewer rioters.
Police used a water cannon to disperse the crowd.
They said a number of police officers had been injured but none were thought to be in a serious condition.
Assistant Chief Constable Duncan McCausland said police would be conducting a major investigation into the violence.
He said fewer people were involved on Wednesday night, but there was a "hard core" of about 12 intent on causing trouble.
He thanked community workers for their efforts to calm the situation and appealed to them to redouble their efforts.
"We will now continue to work hard to identity those involved and will be doing our utmost to put people before the courts," he said.
"We are very clear that we can and we will continue to maintain public safety and public confidence - we would appeal for the assistance of everyone to that end."
Earlier, on Wednesday, a coffee jar bomb was found during an alert in the Highbury Gardens area. The army was called to the scene.
Sinn Fein blamed dissident republicans for the device and said they showed "absolute disregard" for the people of the area.
On Wednesday a senior police officer said there would be arrests in coming days after detectives had studied CCTV footage.