York & North Yorkshire

York petrol burns woman Diane Hill 'progressing well'

Diane Hill
Image caption Diane Hill suffered serious burns in the incident in her kitchen on 29 March

A woman who suffered 40% burns when petrol ignited as she poured it into a jug is said to be progressing well in hospital.

Diane Hill, 46, was left critically ill after the incident in her kitchen in Moorgate, Acomb, York on 29 March.

Firefighters said the fuel was ignited by a cooker which was on at the time.

Ms Hill is being treated at the specialist burns unit at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield.

A hospital spokeswoman said Ms Hill was progressing well but it was not known when she would be discharged from hospital.

The accident happened two days after motorists were advised to keep jerry cans of fuel in the garage ahead of a threat of industrial action by tanker drivers.

It is not known whether Ms Hill had been storing petrol in advance of a potential fuel shortage.

Adair Lewis from the Fire Protection Association said at the time: "Petrol should only ever be bought in proper containers made for that purpose. There is no place for petrol inside your home."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites